Sunday, January 16, 2005

The story so far... (part I)

Because the story is currently 22 weeks long, I may have to tell it in several separate posts.

Just starting out
Last spring Alan and I decided to start trying. The goal was to simply stop preventing and see what happened. The first month was a terrible tease. I have always been very regular, so when 5 weeks came and went with no cycle, we thought we had done it! No such luck. We ended up going through several 6-week cycles before my body figured out how to self regulate again. In June I had an regular annual appointment with the gyn and she said its completely normal for it to take many months after birth control. I think she was a good luck charm, because the following month was a normal 4-week cycle, and the following month we were pregnant! Yay!

The test - 9/20/04
We are now midway through September and I was getting eager to test again. On September 2oth I took another test. It was a little early (6 wks) but my family was coming to visit that weekend and I very much wanted to tell them in person. This time my body cooperated and the test was positive. Yay! I went into the other room and told Alan, "I think we did it." He was happy and bouncy :) The next morning I called the midwife group at the hospital and they scheduled me for an appointment in October. I thought it was strange that they didn't want to see me immediately, but they said its normal and there is no need to come in as long as I'm feeling fine.

Telling the families - 9/24/04
As I said, my parents were coming to visit that weekend so we got to tell them in person, along with my aunt and grandpa. Alan used the line, "Hey, so guess what? Barney is going to be an uncle!" I loved reactions. Lots of hugs and tears.

On Sunday we drove down to have dinner with Alan's family. He used the same line again and (after a bit longer of a thought delay) there were lots more hugs and tears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home